Joomla is an open source Content management system (CMS) aka free, and one of the best CMS in creating responsive website designs, SEO friendly, customize design layouts, libraries, databases, with thousands of free design themes, features and plugin module extensions. With the various features and modules that Joomla provides, there are things that need to be considered in using this open source, especially how to optimize website seo in Joomla.
How to optimize Joomla seo (part1):
The first step in optimizing seo on Joomla is to make your Joomla website url link to be seo friendly, the goal is to make the website easy to read and indexed by Google or other search engines.
Joomla administrator login, select Site, then global configuration:
You will find SEO SETTING on the dashboard. In the seo settings section you will change the Joomla web url link to make it a search engine friendly (SEF) url. If you previously linked your url like this:
then when you have activated SEF (Search Engine Friendly) URLs, without activating Use URL Rewriting it will look like this:
In the SEO Settings section, change the setting to “Yes” on:
- Search Engine Friendly URLs
- Use URL rewriting* ( but before using this module, change your “htaccess.txt” to “.htaccess” !!! )
- Adds Suffix to URL (you can choose or not)
- Unicode Aliases (you can choose or not)
Then click Save.
How to Change your “htaccess.txt” to “.htaccess” :
- Login to cpanel, by accessing www.yourdomainname.com/cpanel
- Go to file manager.
- Go to the public_html folder or the root folder of your Joomla. then change (rename) the ” htaccess.txt ” file to ” . htaccess ”
- If you can’t, download the htaccess.txt file, then open it with notepad rename it to .htaccess select all files, click save and upload the .htaccess file into your Joomla or public_html root folder.
Examples of links in Joomla after using SEF and rewriting urls can be found on the Indonesian pneumatic website, it needs a little precision when using Joomla, because if it is not possible to have duplicate links, namely 2 or more links that lead to the same page, for example in the following link:
2 The url link above leads to the same page, which Google doesn’t like, by minimizing mistakes in making website structure, it will improve your website’s seo, or at least you build the right basic structure on the website.
To avoid duplicate links and content, and make it easier to manage seo in Joomla, which is certainly useful so that Joomla websites are easily indexed by Google (other search engines), you can add a Joomla SEO plugin.