Information Technology is a technology used to process data, including processing, obtaining, compiling, storing, manipulating data in various ways to produce quality information, namely information that is relevant, accurate and timely, which is used for personal, business and governance and is strategic information for decision making. This technology uses a set of computers to process data, a network system to connect one computer to another as needed, and telecommunications technology is used so that data can be distributed and accessed globally.
The development of Information Technology has spurred a new way of life, from life starting to ending, this kind of life is known as e-life, meaning that life has been influenced by various needs electronically. And now it is lively with various letters that start with the prefix e, such as e-commerce, e-government, e-education, e-library, e-journal, e-medicine, e-laboratory, e-biodiversity, and others. again based on electronics.
Education sector (e-education)
Globalization has triggered a tendency to shift in the world of education from conventional face-to-face education to more open education (Mukhopadhyay M., 1995). For example we see in France the project “Flexible Learning”. This is reminiscent of Ivan Illich’s prediction in the early 70s about “Deschooling Socieiy” which in the extreme, teachers are no longer needed.
FIELDS THAT HAVE DEVELOPED IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY.
In the field of government (e-government)
E-government refers to the use of information technology by governments, such as using intranets and the internet, which have the ability to connect the needs of citizens, businesses, and other activities. Can be a process of business transactions between the public and the government through an automated system and internet network, more commonly known as the world wide web. In essence, e-government is the use of information technology that can improve relations between the government and other parties. the use of information technology then produces new forms of relationships such as: G2C (Governmet to Citizen), G2B (Government to Business), and G2G (Government to Government).
Finance and Banking
Currently, many economic actors, especially in big cities, no longer use cash in their payment transactions, but have taken advantage of modern banking services.
Modern banking services that are only available in big cities are understandable because current economic growth is still concentrated in big cities, which causes the circulation of money to be concentrated in big cities. So that the banking sector was rather slow in its expansion to the regions. This is more or less due to the current condition of infrastructure in addition to Indonesia’s unique and wide geographical aspect.
To support the operational success of a financial/banking institution such as a bank, it is definitely necessary to have a reliable information system that can be easily accessed by its customers, which in turn will depend on online information technology, for example, a customer can withdraw money wherever he is as long as he is still there. there is an ATM service from the bank, or a customer can check the balance and transfer the money to another account in just minutes, all transactions can be done.
Information and Communication Technology covers two aspects, namely Information Technology and Communication Technology. Information Technology, including all matters relating to the process, use as a tool, manipulation, and management of information. While Communication Technology is everything related to the use of tools to process and transfer data from one device to another.
Therefore, Information Technology and Communication Technology are inseparable counterparts that contain a broad understanding of all activities related to processing, manipulating, managing, and transferring information between media.
In particular, the objectives of studying Information and Communication Technology are:
- Make us aware of the potential development of information and communication technology that is constantly changing so that we are motivated to evaluate and study this technology as a basis for lifelong learning.
- Motivate our ability to adapt and anticipate ICT developments, so that we can carry out and carry out daily life activities independently and more confidently.
- Develop our competence in using Information and Communication Technology to support learning, work, and various activities in daily life.
- Develop ICT-based learning skills, so that the learning process can be more optimal, interesting, and encourage us to be more skilled in communicating, skilled at organizing information, and accustomed to working together.
- Develop independent, initiative, innovative, creative, and responsible learning skills in the use of Information and Communication Technology for learning, working, and solving daily problems.
Understanding technology in general:
• Processes that increase added value
• Products used and produced to facilitate and improve performance
• The structure or system in which processes and products are developed and used
Technological progress is something that we cannot avoid in this life, because technological progress will run in accordance with the progress of science. Every innovation is created to provide positive benefits for human life. Provides many conveniences, as well as a new way of doing human activities. Especially in the field of technology, society has enjoyed many benefits brought about by the innovations that have been produced in the last decade. However, although it was originally created to produce positive benefits, on the other hand it is also possible to use it for negative things.
Therefore, in this paper, we describe the positive and negative impacts of technological advances in human life. From the above definitions, it appears that human life cannot be separated from technology. This means that technology is a whole way that rationally leads to the characteristics of efficiency in every human activity.
Technological developments occur when a person uses his tools and wits to solve every problem he faces. As an example, the opinion of world technology experts on technology development can be stated.
According to B.J. Habiebie (1983: 14) there are eight transformation vehicles that are a priority for technology development, especially industrial technology, namely:
(2) maritime and shipping,
(3) means of transportation,
(4) electronics and communications,
(7) agricultural tools and machinery, and
(8) defense and security.
Types of Information Technology Applications
The application of information technology is closely related to the application of computer technology and data communication in life. Almost all areas of life today can take advantage of computer technology. Some of these types of applications are:
- Applications in the field of science: An example is the application of astronomy (astrology).
- Applications in engineering / engineering: An example is the manufacture of robots using the concept of artificial intelligence to make robots wiser.
- Applications in the business/economic field: Examples are e-business, e-marketing, e-commerce and others.
- Applications in general administration: Examples are sales/distribution applications, employee payroll applications, school academic applications and others.
- Applications in the banking sector: Examples are e-banking, ATM, and m-banking.
- Applications in education: An example is e-learning (distance learning).
- Applications in the field of government: Examples are e-government and the application of state property inventory (IKMN).
- Applications in the field of health/medical: An example is the co-cardiograph examination, which is a non-invasive examination to establish a diagnosis of heart disease. By using this tool the activity of the heart muscles can be seen directly on the monitor screen and others.
- Applications in the industrial / manufacturing field: An example is computer simulation for testing new system designs.
- Applications in the field of transportation: An example is an application to manage airplane flight schedules.
- Applications in the field of security defense: An example is the application of data security systems with encryption.